Fredericksburg, Virginia

City Directory, 1892

Central Rappahannock Regional Library (CRRL), 1201 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia, has a xeroxed copy of a printed "Fredericksburg Directory, 1892." Although no further information is available, it is the earliest surviving directory with street numbers. African-American residents were noted in the original as "col." However, for consistency this index uses the "*" as did the 1888 Directory. In addition, the street names have been changed from the original document, to reflect current names. In 1891, the City Council had changed to a system of lettered and numbered streets. Lettered streets were north-south beginning at the Rappahannock River. Numbered streets were East-West streets beginning at the southern end of Town. A conversion table is available.

The electronic version was created by the Center for Historic Preservation at The University of Mary Washington by scanning a copy of the text and then modifying the format to fit a table. Comments, or corrections to this index should be sent to Gary Stanton at The University of Mary Washington.

The paper copy of the Fredericksburg Directory, 1892," is available in Fredericksburg at the Virginianna Room of the Central Rappahannock Regional Library.

To Search Fredericksburg Directory 1892 please enter the last name, first name, or occupation, or address to be searched

This search powered by SearchParty


Last Update: 1/31/97

Name: Gary Stanton, Dept of Historic Preservation